Saturday 2 July 2011

Challenge: Málaga to Manchester

Day 186. Still stranded in an airport which isn't so bad. Food is readily available, though I'm gagging for a proper Diet Coke. All I can find is Coke Light. Hiding out in the secure sector, hoping the zombies don't realise I've not left...

Oh wait. This isn't a zombie log! I kind of feel like one at the moment. Did manage to sleep the whole flight from JFK to Málaga. That was brilliant. The seats were actually quite horrible. It was an older B757, which meant nothing quite worked the way it was intended. Never mind. Obviously I didn't let that stop me. I would never have managed 4 or 6 hours of sleep back in coach. Seriously, I put in my ear plugs, put on the eye mask, pulled up the covers, and all the sudden I hear, "Would you like some breakfast? We'll be landing in about an hour." It was the attendant speaking to the people behind me. Wait. What? An hour? What happened to the last 4? Wow. So I'm not as miserable as I could have been.

That being said, I'm still stuck. I'm in Spain! Spain is great, don't get me wrong, but it's not where I need to be right now. My luggage has made it safely to Manchester. In fact, my luggage has been there since the 28th! That meant I didn't have to book my ticket with the extra luggage fee. I managed to find a flight for 12.15 from here to Manchester. It arrives there at 14.15 (that's 2.15 for those of you not used to the 24 hour clock.) I probably could have flown for cheaper to one of the other airports (Heathrow or Gatwick...) but then I'd have had to take a train, which would probably have been £52, so this was just as cheap. So, I guess I shouldn't say I'm "stuck", merely, haven't completed the journey yet.

I'm flying Jet2.com. They have been so lovely! The service desk attendants were just brilliant, getting me on the flight. My credit card? Not so much. Stupid me, I forgot to tell them I'd be in Europe, which probably wouldn't have done me much good, as I'm sure they'd have still freaked out at me trying to get a flight from Spain! Anyway, I got it sorted, and then... the Jet2 system crashed. So they scrambled around to get me the documents so they would let me on the plane. Eventually they got it sorted, and when I went over to the check-in desk, they'd rung to say, "Give her a complementary upgrade." Bless them! I got the "Economy Plus" seats, which have extra leg room. So not complaining.

Oooh, they're calling the flight. Guess I better listen for my row (14F - they even gave me a window!)

And this is my "extra leg room." Nice, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've opened the comments to allow anyone to post, but if you're posting as "Anonymous" please leave a name so we can get back to you!