Monday 8 August 2011

*Blink* *Blink*

Wow. It's EARLY! I got up at 4.30 this morning to catch the shuttle from the hotel to the airport.

Here's the story from yesterday:

Arrived to JFK. Through customs no problem. Whilst waiting for my bags (because being in the front of the plane means you get through the passport control, but doesn't speed up the arrival of the bags!) and started chatting with one of the standby passengers I'd seen all day at Heathrow. She had a 9.00 am flight, I have a 7.00 am flight, so I said... want to split a hotel? Best decision.

We really wanted to get rid of the bags at checkin, but because the flight wasn't til the next day the desk wouldn't take it til 2.00 am. So we were stuck with them. bleh, but whatever. We followed a Delta employee just getting off work to Terminal 4 to get to the hotel info. Over there we got a hotel with free shuttle to/from, and went out to catch the Port Authority shuttle to the area that has the hotel shuttles.

It's raining.

I don't mean a little sprinkle, I mean chucking it down. So we're trying to shelter (along with the rest of the airport!) in these little bus hutches. We wait and wait and wait til finally the shuttle arrives. Get on, yeay! Well, it doesn't go straight to the shuttle area. It stops at 3 other terminals first. Not a problem except there's seriously no room on the shuttle. People are trying to climb on at every stop, but there's just NO WAY. They're trying to lift luggage over other luggage, and climb into crazy places. Look people, it ain't happening! Finally we arrive and wait for the shuttle.

It's been a long time since I was as grateful to get to the hotel as I was last night. And it was only 10.30 local by that point. But neither I nor my companion cared. We went straight to the room and crashed.

Of course, my 7 am flight means I've got to be up at 4.30, but that's another story.

Got to the check in and the agent's like, "This bag's overweight". Seriously? They didn't flag it in Heathrow. Either day! Whatever. I switch some things around and get them both to under the weight. Then she says, "Final destination Detroit?" Wait, what? I just told her my bags were already tagged to Salt Lake, so why would my final destination be Detroit? Umm, no. My bags are tagged Salt Lake. My seat request reads Salt Lake (I double checked). Why would you think my final destination was Detroit? I still don't have a clue what that was all about. But whatever, she got it sorted out, and I'm ready to go for Salt Lake.

So, now I'm sitting in the Salt Lake gate, hoping and praying to get on the flight. I looked at theta list, and it's going to be close. There are 13 (including "Inconvenienced Passengers") people trying to get 7 seats.

Yeah, you can do the math. Yes, I'm back to the bottom of the heap, too. But there are 4 flights today JFK to Salt Lake. Might have a look at the Minneapolis rout, see if that's looking any better. I wouldn't mind if I flew to Minneapolis, then on to Billings. Then I could drive my Mom down to Salt Lake, as planned.

*shrug* Whatever. I'll get there somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've opened the comments to allow anyone to post, but if you're posting as "Anonymous" please leave a name so we can get back to you!