Tuesday 9 August 2011

1st Class Baby!

Finally! On my last leg home. Had to get up at seriously stupid o'clock in the morning. The flight left at 6.00 am, which of course meant I had to be there for earlier. But, as I didn't have bags to check and I'd already checked in online and printed my seat request card, I didn't have to be there til around 5. My friend only lives 20 minutes from the airport, so we planned to get up at 4.45 and just jump straight in the car. I happened to wake up at 4.30, so was already up and finished brushing my teeth, had checked the status of the flight and made sure my carryon was packed by the time the alarm went off. My friend just threw on clothes, grabbed us each a Diet Pepsi, and we took off. So we were out the door by 4.50 this morning, putting us into the airport just after 5.

On our way, we met a local critter that my friend had never seen in her part of the city before. A coyote! He was just wandering across the road. It was funny because my friend saw him way before me (obviously, she was driving and watching the road!) and says, "Critter! Get out of the road." I looked over and said, "That's a coyote!" She said she'd seen them in other parts of the city, but not around her place before. But, it's only 3 miles to a less urban area, so I fugue that's where he came from. I'd never seen one in the city before. Only ever in Yellowstone. So, I thought it was a cool spot!

At the gate the agent called my name (got it very wrong, bless him! Called me "Able" instead of "Adele"!) and I went up to the front. Asked if he'd meant me, he said, "Oooh, sorry!" No problem, just makes me smile. Anyway, he said, "I've got you listed in coach, and I don't know why, so give me a moment, and then board when I call 1st class." Ummm... ok! Twist my arm! So I'm writing this from 1st class. Last row, but still, 1st class!

Once we got on the plane, the stewardess came around with drinks. Then snacks! I was actually really grateful for the snack, since I'd not really wanted to eat anything at a quarter of 5 this morning. So it took the edge off.

The flying time is only 1 hour 40 minutes. I'm like, really? That's only enough time to get up to cruising altitude, and come back down! I guess I'm just so used to the long haul flights like the previous two I have been on this week.

Saw a really cool thing on takeoff. There were a whole line of planes all queued up for takeoff. Would have loved to get a photo, but obviously I couldn't, since my camera had to be off at that point. Anyway, there was a US flight, a Delta flight, then 6 Southwest flights in a row, and another Delta, and another Southwest was just joining the queue. Was quite a sight, all those planes lined up together.

Also have seen 2 rainbows this morning! There's a funny layer of cloud just below us, and the sun's apparently at just the right angle to refract. They're very pretty, especially since, a rainbow seen from above is actually a circle.

Anyway, we're about to be served more drinks. Seriously, life's tough up front ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've opened the comments to allow anyone to post, but if you're posting as "Anonymous" please leave a name so we can get back to you!